We hear it all the time: “I have such and such, can you refinish it?!”
We love hearing from Bay Staters and are always available to walk you through what can be refinished and what can’t. While not every item in your home can be refinished, lots of them can!
To learn which fixtures can be refinished, as well as the advantages to refinishing your bathroom and signs your fixtures need refinishing, read on!
What is bathroom refinishing?
Think of bathroom refinishing as a facelift for many of the surfaces in your bathroom. Through the power of refinishing (also known as reglazing), your bathroom fixtures are rejuvenated to like-new condition!
The finish on bathroom fixtures is not meant to last a lifetime, even if the underlying fixture is. As time goes on, the glaze fades and the shine and functionality of the item slowly fades away.
Bathroom refinishing works to give life back to these items so they look and work as great as they once did. The original look and feel of your bathroom will be restored – you’ll think your fixtures just came off the showroom floor.
What are the benefits of refinishing bathroom fixtures?
- Long-lasting: The reglazing process is not a temporary solution. The newly glazed and refinished fixture will last just as long as a brand new item.
- Less expensive: New fixtures cost a lot of money to not only buy, but install. Refinishing saves you money by just rejuvenating what needs to be replaced and leaving the functioning structure in place.
- No replacement process: If you have a fixture that’s perfect for your space, why are you in a rush to replace it? Not only will you need to find another item that fits your bathroom, but you’ll have to remove and dispose of the old one. No thank you!
What can you refinish?
Restoring a bathtub’s surface so it looks brand new is easy! Bathtub refinishing is cheaper and faster than replacing an entire fixture and will leave you with the exact same end result. No matter whether you’re looking to update and modernize the look of your tub or completely change its color, bathtub refinishing is the answer.
All types of bathtubs can be refinished, including:
View our bathtub refinishing portfolio.
Tile can easily be restored with an experienced tile refinishing service. Tile replacement is a big project requiring a strenuous installation process. Tile refinishing bypasses that process for a less expensive and less labor-intensive solution. Even for homes and properties with tile in great shape, tile reglazing is a cost-effective method for updating outdated tile color.
Tile reglazing works great for:
View our tile refinishing portfolio.
Sinks lose their shine — it’s inevitable! They develop water stains, surface scratches, and cracks over time. Sink refinishing services are simple, quick, and restore sinks to their original beauty and functionality that lasts for years!
Sink reglazing works with all types of sinks, including:
- Single bowl
- Double bowl
- Farm style
View our sink refinishing portfolio.
Old, dirty, and damaged showers are unsafe for use. When it’s time to replace, many don’t know that shower refinishing is an option. Our shower resurfacing does not look like paint and delivers beautiful results. You’ll never tell the difference between the finished product and a brand new shower!
Shower reglazing helps rejuvenate and refinish:
- Shower stalls
- Fiberglass units
- Shower bases
- Showers with tile
View our shower refinishing portfolio.
Common questions on bathroom refinishing
Trust us — we’ve heard it all. When you’re expecting to have to pay thousands to replace your bathroom fixtures and you’re told you no longer have to, it’s natural to have questions.
We’ve put the answers to the 2 we overwhelmingly hear the most below.
Do I need a new tub or should I refinish my current bathtub?
The answer to this question depends on how you answer the following questions.
- Do you have a plan on what to do with your old fixtures? If not, either find one or consider refinishing.
- What problem are you trying to solve? If there is a structural issue, you may need a new fixture. If it’s only color or some fading or chipping, a bathroom refinishing project could be just what the doctor ordered.
- Do you hate the shape and size of your fixture? If so, you’ll probably need a new one. But if not, why replace something you like?
- Are you also remodeling your bathroom? If you are, a new one might make some sense. If not, removing and finding a new one that fits perfect may be more trouble than it’s worth.
What are signs that I need to refinish my bathroom fixtures
If you’ve decided that you’re sold on refinishing over buying, what next? When you need to actually refinish your bathroom fixtures.
Here are 4 signs it time to refinish your bathroom fixtures:
- Chipping: Chipping on bathroom fixtures is extremely common. Whether it’s because something fell onto it or because of general wear, it’s something that needs to be solved. Leaving chips for too long can lead to a wearing of the tub itself. It also just looks bad and feels uncomfortable on your feet.
- Discoloration: Common colors seen on old fixtures that need to be refinished include brownish-yellow, pink, or splotchy off-white areas. These are normal, though very hard to impossible to remove without a refinishing job. You’ll also never quite be able to get the darn thing clean.
- Dull: New or recently refinished fixtures are sparkly clean and look beautiful. Old ones are dull and look dirty all of the time. The only way to reverse this is through a refinishing job.
- Color swap: If you don’t like the color, a fixture refinishing job can help you dial in the exact look you want. When you refinish, you can choose any color you’d like!
Experience the wonders of bathroom refinishing for yourself
At Bay State Refinishing, we’ve been helping homeowners refinish their bathrooms for years. Everything we do is centered around making you happy — from the finished product to the price you pay. We want you to be completely satisfied with your experience.
Contact us today to learn more about our process and what we can do for your bathroom.
For a fresh perspective on tub, sink, tile, and shower refinishing, look no further than our blog. We’ve curated an expansive selection of articles to guide you towards a flawless bathroom transformation.