Slow down; here’s what’s genuinely important…
Ever caught yourself glaring at your antique clawfoot tub, thinking it’s seen better days? Pondered about replacing it, only to be gobsmacked by the whopping bathtub replacement cost?
Well, partner, you’re not alone in this conundrum, and we’ve got just the solution for you: Bathtub refinishing. This cost-effective route is your golden ticket to breathing new life into your weathered bathtub.
As a trusted bathtub refinishing company in the Greater Boston Metropolitan area, Bay State Refinishing has spruced up a multitude of bathtubs in both homes and commercial properties alike.
With an affluence of color customization options at our fingertips and the ability to refinish a variety of surfaces — be it a porcelain, fiberglass, or even the tile circling the tub — we’re your bathtub refinishing pros.
The kicker? This bathtub refinishing process wraps up in a jiffy, and in most cases, you’ll be luxuriating in your “brand-spankin’-new” tub within 48 hours.
Here’s Why You Should Consider Refinishing Your Bathtub
Let’s Talk Turkey: It’s Cost-Effective
When weighing bathtub refinishing vs replacement, the cost factor undoubtedly tips the scale in favor of refinishing. Provided your existing bathtub is in decent shape, it’s primed for an easy-peasy transformation.
Installing a new tub, on the other hand, can feel like opening a can of worms. You might find yourself hacking apart the old tub, tearing off trim, or even removing doors and vanities. Now, that sounds like a pretty penny extra, doesn’t it?
Tired of Your Tub’s Hue? Give It a Makeover!
Perhaps the color of your tub has you cringing, or it’s sporting a few unsightly stains from years of suds and soaks.
Reglazing your bathtub is a snappy solution to jazz up your bathroom. Wait till you hear this: You can bid adieu to your boring old tub color and say howdy to a palette of possibilities. Bay State Refinishing has got you covered with a rainbow of bathtub refinishing color options.
Tidy Up with a Little Touch-Up
It’s no secret that tubs take a beating over the years. Scratches, chips, and even cracks are par for the course. These nicks and notches not only make your bathtub harder to clean but can also give it a grubby appearance even when it’s squeaky clean.
Opting for professional refinishing can make your tub’s battle scars disappear, as if by magic, restoring its gleaming glory.
Spruce Up Your Space, Spruce Up Your Sale Value
If you’ve got plans to put your home on the market down the line, restoring and reglazing your bathtub is one clever move to beef up your property’s value.
This refresh gives your tub a like-new look that’s sure to charm potential buyers.
Dazzling Color Options for Your Bathtub Makeover
You might think your bathtub color options are limited to a few shades of white and perhaps a jaunty throwback yellow from the ’80s (although yellow is an option, it’s jazzier than you might think).
But hold on to your hats because Bay State Refinishing is here to broaden your horizons with a wide array of color options, from pristine white to bold black and almost every shade in between. Our team can provide color samples to help you pick the perfect hue for your bathtub makeover.
Picking the Perfect Bathtub Refinishing Color
Choosing the right shade for your bathtub restoration can be a bit of a pickle. Tempting as it might be to veer toward a bold color that’s all the rage, we recommend sticking with softer, muted tones for your tub.
These tranquil tones can help create a soothing atmosphere in your bathroom. But how do you zero in on the right color?
Well, ask any design maven about their cardinal rules, and they’ll likely mention the Rule of Three. Typically, this rule applies to arranging objects in sets of three, but in this context, it refers to the color scheme.
When picking your bathroom makeover colors, you’ll want to include one neutral color, one deep or rich color, and one accent color.
Here’s a handy rule of thumb to follow when choosing your bathroom color scheme:
- 70-80% of the room should sport a neutral color.
- 10-20% of the room should boast a rich/deep color.
- 10% of the room should showcase an accent color.
While this might sound restrictive, these color categories can be mixed and matched in an array of combinations.
Whether you’re planning a full bathroom overhaul or a simple spruce-up that involves reglazing your bathtub and a fresh coat of paint on your walls, adhering to this color scheme will simplify your selection process.
Here are a few bathroom refresh examples and how you can wield your bathtub reglazing color choices:
Modern Bathroom Makeover
- Walls: Paint them a bright, airy color (neutral).
- Bathtub Transformation Color: Go for a classic white (neutral).
- Flooring: Install a black and white tiled pattern (neutral).
- Vanity: Opt for a dark or mid-toned wood color (rich).
- Other: Add a textured deep burgundy wallpaper to one wall (optional).
Contemporary Bathroom Makeover
- Walls: Paint them a bright, airy color (neutral).
- Bathtub Transformation Color: Select a light stone glaze (neutral).
- Flooring: Install hexagon charcoal or matte black tiles (rich).
- Vanity: Paint it white or a creamy off-white (neutral) or wood colored.
Boho Chic Bathroom Makeover
- Walls: Paint them a light, earthy hue (neutral).
- Bathtub Transformation Color: A clawfoot bathtub would shine with a pale yellow or creamy white glaze interior and charcoal or black exterior (neutral).
- Flooring: Opt for a dark brick herringbone pattern (accent).
- Vanity: Go for a mid-tone wood color (rich).
- Other: Add a smattering of plants and greenery for an earthy vibe.
The Impact of Choosing the Right Bathtub Refinishing Color
Selecting the right shade for your bathtub refinishing project can significantly influence the aesthetic of your bathroom. Maybe you’ve already spruced up the other surfaces in your bathroom and the last thing on your to-do list is the tub.
Nothing can mar the feel of a stunning bathroom like a tired old blue or pink tub from the bygone days. Opting for a new shade for your existing tub is a simple, cost-effective way to refresh or complete the look of your bathroom.
Like with paint, it’s crucial to test out different colors in your bathroom. The lighting at different times of day and the other colors in the room will affect how the color appears in your bathroom.
The Nuts and Bolts of the Bathtub Refinishing Process
You’ve picked out your bathtub refinishing colors, factoring in your current bathtub size, and now you’re itching to know how long you’ll have to hold your horses before you can unwind in your revamped tub.
For most bathtub resurfacing makeovers, the process of refinishing or reglazing takes the Bay State Refinishing crew around four hours to complete, excluding drying time. Let’s delve into the process in detail:
- Stripping off the old finish: The first step is to remove the old finish from the tub. This is accomplished using a chemical stripper, which breaks down the existing surface, allowing it to be scraped off. Safety is a priority during this step as the stripper is a strong chemical that needs to be handled with care.
- Sanding the surface: The crew uses an industrial sander to smooth the surface. This helps eliminate any minor surface imperfections and creates an even surface for the primer to adhere to. This stage is crucial for achieving a sleek and smooth finish on the tub.
- Repairing rust spots, cracks, dents, and chips: Over time, your bathtub may have acquired various nicks and scrapes. The crew meticulously repairs any damaged areas, perhaps from an old liner or normal wear and tear, before moving on to the priming phase. This step is vital to ensure a flawless finish and the longevity of your refinished bathtub.
- Applying primer and glaze: After the surface is thoroughly prepared, much like when painting a canvas, a primer is applied, which forms a base for the glaze. The glaze, which includes your chosen color from the products we offer, is then applied. The glaze is what gives your bathtub its new look and feel.
- Drying: Once the glaze has been applied, the bathtub must be left undisturbed for 24 to 48 hours. This allows the glaze to cure and harden, ensuring it adheres to the surface and is durable enough to withstand the rigors of everyday use.
The Multi-step Process for High-Quality Results
This process may seem like a lot, but these multiple steps are necessary to achieve a high-quality finish that you’ll enjoy for years to come. The process is designed to create a durable, hard-wearing, and visually appealing bathtub that can stand up to the rigors of everyday use.
Why Hiring a Professional is a Wise Decision?
Though the prospect of DIY Tub refinishing may seem exciting, it’s not a task to take on as a DIY project. It involves handling potent chemicals, industrial tools, and a level of precision that calls for professional expertise. Bay State Refinishing, a professional bathtub refinishing company, has the knowledge, skill, and experience to safely and effectively refinish your bathtub, ensuring that your rejuvenated tub will last for years to come.
Wrapping it Up
Compared to a new tub, the bathtub refinishing cost is an efficient and cost-effective way to breathe new life into your tired old bathtub. With a plethora of colors to choose from, based on various kit reviews and your personal style, it can make your bathroom feel brand new. Remember, the process is intricate and calls for professional help. So, reach out to Bay State Refinishing, a trusted name in bathtub refinishing services. We can refinish various bathtub surfaces, including porcelain, and fiberglass, and even provide tile refinishing around the tub.
We pride ourselves on our commitment to quality work and excellent customer service. We’ve been in the business for years, and our skilled team has managed hundreds of projects, both large and small.
Whether you’re looking to freshen up a residential bathroom with a cast-iron tub or update a series of tubs in a commercial property, we’re up for the job, as indicated in our comprehensive guide to bathtub refinishing. Don’t hesitate to call us at (617) 848-0453 to set up your free consultation or visit our website for more information. We serve many cities in the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area, including but not limited to Abington, Andover, Brookline, Boxborough, Chelsea, Brighton, Whitman, Dedham, Malden, Newton, etc.