Open floor plans and additional living space are common wishes of homeowners planning remodeling projects in the Boston area. But remodeling a home requires both careful planning and attention to detail. You may not realize that certain walls, posts, and other structural elements are “load-bearing.” These load-bearing elements are critical to the integrity of your home and support the weight of upper floors and forces exerted by factors like wind and snow accumulation.
When planning your home remodel you must be aware of these load-bearing elements, their location, and their purpose.
Home Renovation & Structural Remodeling
Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling offers structural remodeling to ensure the success of our home renovation and remodeling projects.
As part of our design and build process, our structural engineer comes on site and produce a stamped design for the work needed. The engineer also provides an affidavit after the structural work is completed for customer assurance.
Structural Remodeling Done Right
When a remodeling contractor ignores or cuts corners, the results can be disastrous. Poorly planned remodels that don’t take into account load-bearing structural elements can result in:
- Sagging, uneven, or rolling floors
- Damage to your home’s roof or foundation
- Cracked walls
Even more serious structural failures are possible. In a worst case scenario, sections of your home may collapse.
But when structural remodeling is done right, the results are amazing. Through careful planning and execution of your structural remodel, we are able to:
- Create open floor plans and more inviting spaces
- Add windows to bring more natural light into your home
- Increase the amount of available living space without the need for a home addition
Our Proven 6-Step Remodeling Process
Step 1: Consultation & Estimate
The first step in our design process is an information-gathering session where we’ll discuss the scope of your remodeling project and get to know your design vision.
This step consists of both an over-the-phone and/or email conversation as well as an on-site meeting.
During these conversations & meetings, we’ll…
- Discuss your lifestyle needs and design preferences
- Understand more about your vision, budget, and schedule
- Outline our design process and answer any questions you may have
- Discuss our interior design process and determine whether or not you would like to include this service
Step 2: Design Concept Development
Working closely with you, our team will establish a firm design direction for your remodeled space. This step is broken into 2 phases.
Phase 1: Existing Conditions and Reporting
Our team will create site plan drawings of the current layout condition of your property, including:
- Structural assemblies such as ceilings and beam systems
- Interior partition layout, including walls, doors, & windows
- Exterior features such as decks & porches
Phase 2: Proposed Conditions Layout & Conceptual Drawings
- Your conceptual plan will consist of:
- Existing and proposed layouts
- Demolition exhibits
- Existing and proposed 3D views of your space
- Isometric exterior views of your space
Step 3: Permit & Construction Documentation
Our architects will prepare a set of drawings containing all the architectural and structural documentation needed for construction and permitting.
This step includes all technical construction plans such as…
- Detailed framing plans (2D & 3D)
- Cross section views
- Elevation views
- Structural connection details
- Windows and doors schedules
- Electrical plans with fixture legends
- FAR calculations
Step 4: Interior Design Development
Our interior designer will collaborate with you to create a mood board or aesthetic story and creating detailed interior 2D and 3D views to illustrate finish materials and procedures.
Together, you’ll select the right colors and materials for your project including:
- Custom designed materials
- Fabrics & paints
- Lighting fixtures & artwork
- Wall & window treatments
- Furniture & accessories
Step 5: Pre-Construction Meeting
To kick off your project, we’ll schedule a pre-construction meeting.
During this meeting, you’ll meet with your project manager to review and discuss important details, including…
- Parking options on site
- Work hours during the week and weekends
- Specific requests and needs
- Communication with project manager, remodeling coordinator, interior designer, and office
- Materials and tool storage on site
Step 6: Construction & Installation
This is the final step where the design comes together and things are built and installed. Your Project Manager, Remodeling Coordinator, and Interior Designer will work closely together to ensure:
- You’re informed throughout the project, providing multiple methods of communication to best fit your needs
- The details of the design work are expertly documented and clearly outlined
- All materials are received in good condition
- Design elements are installed correctly
- Interior design plans are properly followed
- Punch list documentation is prepared and completed prior to final payment
- The finished result fits perfectly with your vision
Why Work With Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling?
Fully Licensed, Bonded, Insured & Qualified
Our structural remodelers, designers, and even our painters are always fully licensed. Our entire team is covered under workers compensation insurance so you’ll never be at risk!
Dedicated Project Manager
When you work with our structural remodelers, your Project Manager will be on-site throughout the remodel. You’ll love how smoothly and efficiently the project will be completed.
Best-in-Boston 1-year Guarantee on Our Services
As an established remodeling company, we offer a guarantee you can trust. We’ll still be around a year from now to address any issues that might come up during your warranty period.
Communication Methods to Fit Your Needs
The best results are achieved through open, clear communication. We make it easy for you to talk with your remodeling team, including emails, text messages, and phone calls.
About Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling
Bay State Refinishing & Remodeling has been delivering the highest-quality refinishing, remodeling, and structural work for clients throughout Boston for nearly 20 years.
Our licensed and award-winning remodeling team has built a reputation for delivering unmatched customer service and outstanding results. From initial estimate to the final inspection, you’ll love our…
- Dedication to your 100% satisfaction
- Focus on delivering results that are built to last
- Individualized service and easy communication